Local Area & Links
This North Island geothermal wonderland is one of New Zealand’s most popular tourist destinations. Nicara Lakeside accommodation is your perfect base from which to see all the many different sights and year round activities Rotorua has to offer.
Unique to Rotorua is the characteristic smell of sulphur, earning the town the nickname 'Sulphur City.' While not a pleasant smell, it definitely adds to the visitor experience. We hasten to add however, Nicara Lodge has no sulphur smells to disturb your stay.
Rotorua still is the heartland of the New Zealand Maori culture. There are a number of Maori Villages and cultural activities throughout the city. From the night-time performance at Mitai, including a traditionally cooked Hangi meal, to the fascinating Maori historic settlement at Ohinemutu. All cultural, adventurous and natural experiences have their own unique character; the choice is yours.
Activities and Links to Information
- The Buried Village is New Zealand's most visited Archaeological Site, where stories of the 1886 Mt Tarawera Eruption come to life
- Off Road NZ provides self-drive, off road vehicle experiences, including 4WD Bush Safaris, Monster 4X4 Thrill Rides and 390cc 4-stroke karts
- Mamaku Blue Blueberry Farm grows and supplies the finest blueberries and gooseberries in the Waikato region, including their delicious blueberry juice
- River Rats, White Water Rafting New Zealand, Rotorua Kayaking and Adventure Specialists have a range of rafting and kayaking options, adventures, and activities
- Skyline Rotorua gondola rides and extensive views of Rotorua, the thrill of the Luge, relaxing buffet and grill restaurant, beautiful nature walks and exciting adventure activities